Rare but Real Causes of Fires.
Did you know that accumulated lint in your dryer vent can cause a fire?
How about a phone battery or old dishwasher?
How about non-dairy coffee creamer?
Here are a few rare but real fire-starters to be aware of:
1 – Recalled Appliances – take a look at the Consumer Product Safety Commission’s website (www.cpsc.gov/Recalls) to make sure your microwave or computer battery hasn’t been recalled.
2 – Excess Sawdust – if you’re a DIYer, then you may have sawdust on your work surfaces. Make sure to clean workspaces with a vacuum designed to collect combustible materials to avoid accumulating dust which is flammable.
3 – 9-Volt Batteries – all batteries should be disposed of safely, but especially the 9-Volts. These have been known to spark when in contact with metal while in a trash can or junk drawer.
4 – Linseed Oil – if you use this to polish your butcher block countertops or other wood furnishings, make sure you wash the rag immediately after use as they can spontaneously combust.
5 - And finally - that non-dairy coffee creamer, as well as other manufactured foods can combust if exposed to an open flame.
Fire is destructive whether caused by a common or rare situation. Please exercise caution and know your risks. Proper fire safety is everyone’s responsibility.